Rancho Bernardo Inn Celebrates 60th Anniversary
Rancho Bernardo Inn opened its doors with 30 rooms in 1963. Room rates started at $8, an all-you-can-eat fish fry at Veranda was $1.50, and guests were invited in to watch TV on a color television. Designed by Torrey Pines and La Jolla Country Club architect William Bell, the resort course opened with 18 championship holes. In 1968, the resort grew to include 151 guest rooms and the beloved El Bizcocho restaurant opened. A renowned fine-dining experience, it was enjoyed by guests and city residents and became a local institution of national renown.
To celebrate 60 Years, the resort is featuring several celebrations and packages for guests in 2023, culminating with a Resort-wide Celebrate on May 20, 2023! Stop by the resort for throwback menus featuring popular historical dishes, specialty cocktails, 1960's themed Spring Break and Summer pool parties, Diamond Anniversary themed events and more.
60 Years at Rancho Bernardo Inn
- 1963: Rancho Bernardo Inn Opens
- 1968: The resort expands to 151 guest rooms and El Bizcocho opens
- 1977: The Inn becomes a AAA Four Diamond Hotel (2015 marks the 39th straight year honored with that designation)
- 1986: Ted Robinson enhances the Resort Course, adding spectacular new water features on the 9th and 18th holes
- 1988: Rancho Bernardo Inn grows to 287 guest rooms, also adding the Catalina Ballroom and fitness center
- 1998: The Resort Course is remodeled by Schmidt & Curley
- 2007: The Spa at Rancho Bernardo Inn expands to include a saline pool and cabanas, seven indoor treatment rooms and five outdoor casitas
- 2012: After a $2.5 million renovation, El Bizcocho closes and re-opens as AVANT
- 2019: All ballrooms and meeting venues are updated for modern event needs
- 2022: Guest rooms and suites are reinvigorated with fresh paint and tasteful, new furniture and bedding