A story for the ages, Jekyll Island Club Resort boasts a rich history as a trademark location to several turning points in American History. Proud of this, the resort takes every effort to preserve and showcase the historical elegance and charm found around every corner. With inspiration from so many gone before, the resort offers meeting attendees an opportunity to step back in time while also enjoying every state of the art amenity expected at a world class resort.
Meetings Through the Ages
- 1888 - The Club officially opened its doors in January 1888, quickly becoming a retreat for families that represented one-sixth of the world's wealth, characterizes as "the richest, the most exclusive, the most inaccessible club in the world."
- 1910 - Under the cover of night, and using only first names to keep their identities secret, Senator Nelson Aldrich led a part of financial leaders to Jekyll Island to conceptualize a federal banking system. Coined the First-Name Club, together the group drafted the modern day Federal Reserve.
- 1915 - The nation’s first transcontinental phone call took place between President Woodrow Wilson in Washington, DC, Alexander Graham Bell in New York, Thomas Watson in San Francisco, Henry Higginson in Boston, and AT&T President Theodore Newton Vail at Jekyll Island Club.
- 1928 - Now perfect for intimate board retreats, families with names like Rockefeller, Morgan, Vanderbilt, Pulitzer, and Baker built elegant cottages designed for comfort in Victorian architectural styles. Villa Marianna was the last of 18 cottages to be completed, in 1928.
- 1948 - After forcing an evacuation of the island during World War II, Jekyll Island opened to the public as a State Park in 1948.
- 1987 - Receiving Landmark District status in 1978, the club then fell into neglect and abandonment. The hotel's Grand Opening ceremony in 1987 included remarks from Joe Frank Harris, Governor of the State of Georgia, and Paul Warwick, Mayor of Brunswick. The celebration included harp players and an ice sculpture in the form of The Clubhouse turret.
- 1999 - Robert Redford’s Legend of Bagger Vance starring Will Smith, Matt Damon, and Charlize Theron is shot along the Riverfront Lawn. Other notable films shot on Jekyll Island include X-Men: First Class, Glory, and Live By Night. (pictured)
- 2010 - Once an indoor tennis court for guests of the Jekyll Island Club, a joint venture between the Jekyll Island Authority and the Jekyll Island Club Hotel restored the Morgan Center to a conference center.
Classic Meeting Space
With such a robust history, Jekyll Island Club Resort offers meeting attendees the character and charm you would expect. Host a board retreat in several charming cottages on property or an intimate meeting in several gorgeous board rooms. Lunches and dinners are planned in stunning and elegant ballrooms aimed to leave guests feeling whimsical.
Boasting acres of serene island landscape, Jekyll Island Club Resort provides southern charm and welcoming weather to groups of all sizes. Dine outside under the stars in numerous courtyards across the property, or sip coffee with a river or ocean view before beginning an educational session. With true nature and splendid luxury at the helm, this South Georgia gem delivers.